Sunday, March 25, 2012

Stop and Smell the Roses...or look at Moths!!

Hello Everyone!
Sometimes we are moving so fast through life, we forget to stop and not only smell the roses, but look at the moths around us!  The other day I found a perfectly formed moth laying dead on the sidewalk leading up to the school. I, of course, picked it up and brought it inside to my classroom.  It was beautiful and I couldn't wait to show the kids!! I knew they would love to look at it and touch it!! I was right!  we immediately had to do some research to figure out what kind it was. After looking for quite some time, we finally found out that it was a Polyphemus Moth. We did some more research and discoved it was a male and that this species only lives a couple of days.  It does not have a mouth, so it doesn't eat. So interesting!! 
The kids recorded their observations by doing some drawings, and some kids even got into labeling the parts of this beautiful creature.  We have a butterfly garden at school, so our next mini field trip will be to go out and look for some eggs!!  I love spontaneous learning!!  Especially when I can learn along with the kids!!
A Found Moth!


Getting a good look!




A Polyphemus Moth


I hope you fit some spontaneous learning into your day!!
Joyfully,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!