Monday, November 12, 2012

'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving

Hello Everyone!
We started the day off with one of my favorite books to read this time of year.  Have you ever read "'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving?" It is a fun little story written by Dav Pilkey about a class of little kids who go on a field trip to a turkey farm the day before Thanksgiving. Well, when the kids find out what Farmer Mack Nugget plans on doing with the ax, they cook up a plan to help the turkeys escape!  
They stuff the turkeys under their shirts and get back on the bus!!  Toooo cute!! This was the perfect book to write about what they would eat instead of turkey as a reader's response.  Making those connections brought us to brainstorming a list of yummy "turkey-free" foods!  the kids wrote amazing lists and then created a turkey stuffed character to go along with it!





We also used the book to help us with our "counting on" strategy to compose numbers in math. We made a giant Farmer Mack Nugget over-all pocket on the floor and learned a new song about putting the big number in your pocket and counting on on the second number.  the kids then got to work independently in small groups to practice this strategy.  this will be part of my math SOLVE tubs this week!








For your free 16 page mini unit using the book "Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving" click here!

The unit contains patterns for the cute little craft connection and reader's response writing activity, the poem, math tub materials and recording sheets.The unit also includes a site where you can go to see and have the book read to your kiddos, just in case you can't find the book!!

I love this little book so much!  I wish we had more time to spend on it!! 

Now on to our study of the Mayflower!!

17 comments:

  1. I have the book and love it too! Love this little unit as well. Thank you!
    Tammy
    First Grade @ Storybook Cafe
    dtklinger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the craft. The whole unit is adorable. I look forward to all of your posts.
    Tammy
    Primary Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an adorable activity and it's perfect for one of my favorite stories! I love it!
    I love your blog too. . this blue is so bright and eye catching! I'm your newest follower!
    Patty
    Second In Line

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, another completely adorable activity from you. Thank you for sharing it with us!
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, a huge thank you! your ideas are super-adorable. I wonder if you could help me with google docs - I don't understand how to share things the way you do - the only pages that show up are the very first one of any document I try to share!
    Thanks,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your craft is the best and PERFECT for that book! You are beyond wonderful!:)

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing! This is one of our favorite books! Such fun activities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This packet is great thanks for sharing, I also want you to know my students loved creating sneaky e puppets, they had a blast and it really reinforced silent e. Thanks so much for helping me and others make learning fun!!!!
    Kim

    First Grade Journal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Everyone!!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much!! Love this unit:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! My 2nd graders are going to love it! Thank you for being willing to share it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable! Thank you so much for sharing with those of us who are much less creative!! This will be great for our 2 day week before Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing! I thought I'd let you know that I am using this for my first grade ESL students for this shortened week. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!